The Ogden Municipal Building has served as one of the main governmental buildings within Ogden City since its completion in 1938.
The Ogden City Municipal building has been used as a courthouse, jail, and government office since it was built and opened to the public in 1938. Today, it houses the main city offices: the finance division, the city council, and the entire department surrounding the mayor. The Municipal building was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1983 as one of three outstanding art deco style buildings in Ogden. The building was designed by Leslie S. Hodgson and Myrle A. McClenahan. George A. Whimeyer & Sons supervised the construction.
Twelve stories high, the main entrance of the building is centered on the east facade in a projecting flat-roofed pavilion capped with terra cotta trim. Symmetrically arranged from a rectangular base, side wings step down gradually from the taller central mass. The doors and transoms have a terra cotta surround. Period lamps in the Art Deco style flank the entrance. The exterior retains its historic integrity, and the interior maintains much of its original character. Especially notable are the marble dados, metal arid wood trim, plaster work, light fixtures, and patterned floors.
This building was built as a part of the federal relief program set in place during the Great Depression. Built in 1938, it comprised all of the Weber and Ogden official city buildings into one, conveniently located building within the heart of historic Ogden. It cost nearly one million dollars to construct. The Public Works Administration paid for nearly half and Ogden City and Weber County each contributed a little over a quarter of the total cost. The building's construction is a testament to the effectiveness of New Deal programs created during the Great Depression.
In 1996, the community rallied to save and renovate the building. Because of its importance to the community of Ogden and architectural history, a complete seismic renovation of this historic landmark was conducted by a consulting engineer. A specially designed steel frame was lowered through the roof and floors to stiffen the structure. Woodwork was polished, light fixtures restored, and offices enovated. The building was reopened in October 2000 and continues housing the governmental needs of Ogden City.