Filed Under Education

Herald R. Clark Building (HRCB)

The Herald R. Clark Student Service Center was originally built to host the BYU bookstore. Today, the Herald R. Clark Building hosts the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies.

As the 1950s dawned, Brigham Young University administrators recognized the campus badly needed to expand in size and capacity. In addition to new buildings for housing and classrooms, expanding the bookstore was also necessary. After scrapping plans to simply add a wing to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, BYU resolved to instead erect a brand new building, hired architect Fred L. Markham to design the structure, and contracted Tolboe Construction to build it. Tolboe finished in 1952, and the BYU bookstore opened in the new location in March 1953 after an opening ceremony presided over by Elder Harold B. Lee, an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

BYU dubbed the building the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center, naming it after BYU’s former dean of the College of Commerce (1934–1951) and longtime bookstore manager (1915–1952). BYU president Ernest L. Wilkinson considered giving the bookstore’s new home Clark’s name especially appropriate “since his management of the bookstore is largely responsible for the funds from which this building has been constructed.” 

Clark was both a businessman and a scholar; while managing the bookstore, he graduated from BYU in 1918, earned an MBA from the University of Washington in 1924, and taught students for forty-one years. Clark’s influence extended even further, beyond the bookstore, classroom, and college. Something of a renaissance man, Clark was a musical aficionado, and he found ways to book world-class performers at prices BYU could afford. As Gerrit de Jong said, Clark “accomplished the seemingly impossible in booking world famous artists… at extremely low fees.” BYU released Clark as bookstore manager in 1952, shortly before it reopened in the new space named for him, and he gave remarks at the 1953 opening ceremony.

Although BYU built the Clark Student Service Center specifically to host its bookstore, in 1964, BYU moved the bookstore to the brand new Ernest L. Wilkinson Student Center. Around this time, BYU also renovated the Clark Building, adding new offices and workroom spaces in what as well as air-conditioning. About a decade later, in the early 1970s, the Clark Building also hosted offices for Continuing Education and Educational Media Services.

In 1984 and 1985, BYU extensively remodeled the Clark Building, after which it became almost exclusively dedicated to hosting the offices of the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies, plus some general-use classrooms.

Born in Randolph, Utah in 1905, David Matthew Kennedy, the Center’s namesake, was a banker and statesman. In addition to serving as Richard Nixon’s secretary of the treasury, as a Latter-day Saint Kennedy strove to “bring the Church to the world” after Church president Spencer W. Kimball called upon Kennedy in 1974 to serve as the Church’s global ambassador-at-large. Just as BYU had named the Clark Building for an admired elder businessman, so too did BYU name the Kennedy Center for an admired elder statesman.

The Clark Building continues to host the Kennedy Center, and each carry on their namesakes’ legacies of creativity, dedication, and faith.

Images

Clark Building
Clark Building A view of the Clark Building from the south. Source: “BYU HRCB.” GreenwoodKL (pseud.?), August 14, 2010. Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0). https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BYU_HRCB.jpg.
Dean Clark
Dean Clark Herald R. Clark was dean of the College of Commerce from 1934 to 1951. Despite all his time as an administrator, banker, and store manager, according to the program for the 1954 dedication of the building, Clark’s proudest accomplishment was being “a good teacher for 41 years.” Source: [Herald R. Clark, ca. 1913]. Brigham Young University News Bureau, ca. 1913. Brigham Young University: 1000 Views of 100 Years collection (UAP 2 Folder 100). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/BYUPhotos/id/310/.
Construction
Construction BYU originally planned to add a wing to the Joseph Smith Building and establish a bookstore there, but the high cost of developed properties in that area motivated administrators to instead put the bookstore in a new edifice built in what is now the middle of campus. Source: Image 4. In folder 12, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19819/rec/1.
All hands
All hands BYU contracted Tolboe Construction to build the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center, and the company completed its work in 1952. Source: Image 1. In folder 12, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19816/rec/1.
Herald R. Clark Student Service Center
Herald R. Clark Student Service Center Initially named the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center, for twelve years the building hosted the campus bookstore. Source: [Herald R. Clark Building, 1953]. Brigham Young University: 1000 Views of 100 Years collection (UAP 2 Folder 216). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/BYUPhotos/id/615/.
Herald R. Clark at the Herald R. Clark Building
Herald R. Clark at the Herald R. Clark Building Clark managed BYU’s bookstore from 1915 to 1952, the year the new building was constructed. In 1952, BYU released him from his managerial position, but he remained affiliated as a chair of the bookstore board. The university named the new structure after Clark and gave him an opportunity to speak at the dedication ceremony in 1953. Source: Image 5. In folder 12, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19820/rec/1.
Elder Harold B. Lee
Elder Harold B. Lee As an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder Lee presided over the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center’s opening ceremony held in March 1953. Source: Image 9. In folder 12, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19824/rec/1.
Standing room only
Standing room only Evidently, BYU did not provide seating for its March 1953 opening ceremonies for the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center. That such a crowd still turned out is interesting. Source: Image 6. In folder 15, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19858/rec/1.
Student service
Student service With the Clark Student Service Center on hand, these BYU women scholars could feel confident in their preparations for classes. Source: Image 8. In folder 13, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19837/rec/1.
Parking lot
Parking lot Because of its initial use as a service center, the original building included a parking lot and loading port, the better to receive products and mail. Source: Image 10. In folder 13, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19839/rec/1.
Sports equipment
Sports equipment Like the BYU store today, the Herald R. Clark Service Center sold sports equipment and paraphernalia. Source: Image 9. In folder 13, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19838/rec/1.
Clothing
Clothing The BYU bookstore in the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center also sold clothes, much as the BYU store does today. Source: Image 11. In folder 14, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19850/rec/1.
Trinkets
Trinkets The store also sold trinkets and knick-knacks like stuffed animals and pennants. Source: Image 12. In folder 14, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19851/rec/1.
Textbooks
Textbooks The shape of the books shelved here seem to possibly match textbooks. Source: Image 1. In folder 15, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19853/rec/1.
Trade books
Trade books Students could also buy trade books at the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center, and they still can at the Wilkinson Center BYU store. Source: Image 2. In folder 15, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19854/rec/1.
Bustling
Bustling Then as now, the BYU bookstore’s on-campus location made it a favored shopping spot for students. Source: Image 8. In folder 14, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19847/rec/1.
Bookstore staff
Bookstore staff In the center dressed in a suit is Ivan L. Sanderson, bookstore manager from 1961 to 1970. Surrounding him are the staff of the BYU Bookstore, at the time still located in the Herald R. Clark Student Service Center. Source: Image 6. In folder 14, box 2, Brigham Young University photographs of the Herald R. Clark Student Building (UA 827, box 2, folders 12–15). Courtesy of the University Archives, L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/SCMisc/id/19845/rec/1.
David M. Kennedy Center
David M. Kennedy Center Today, the Clark Building hosts the Kennedy Center, replacing the sales tags and product displays of the 1950s with study spaces and Kennedy Center logos. Source: Contributed by Makoto Hunter, March 3, 2022.
International studies
International studies A sampling of just a few Kennedy Center major programs. Source: Contributed by Makoto Hunter, March 3, 2022.
Map of the Americas
Map of the Americas By displaying maps of the world inside the Clark Building, the Kennedy Center encourages students to envision themselves within an international and even global context. Source: Contributed by Makoto Hunter, March 3, 2022.
Map of world transit
Map of world transit By displaying maps of the world inside the Clark Building, the Kennedy Center encourages students to envision themselves within an international and even global context. Creator: Contributed by Makoto Hunter, March 3, 2022.
Yapese Rai stone
Yapese Rai stone Chief Andrew Roboman, governor of the island nation of Yap at the time, gave this Rai stone to Ambassador David M. Kennedy and President Richard Nixon as a gift in 1971. The gift apparently stayed with Kennedy. Source: Contributed by Makoto Hunter, March 3, 2022.
David Matthew Kennedy
David Matthew Kennedy This was Kennedy’s official portrait from his time in government service. Source: “David M. Kennedy.” Wikimedia Commons (public domain). https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:David_M_Kennedy.jpg.

Location

Herald R. Clark Bldg, Provo, UT 84604

Metadata

Makoto Hunter, Brigham Young University, “Herald R. Clark Building (HRCB),” Intermountain Histories, accessed July 20, 2024, https://www.intermountainhistories.org/items/show/575.