The Lehi Roller Mills
Founded in 1906, the Lehi Roller Mills started as a coalition of farmers milling their wheat together. George G. Robinson purchased the new mills in 1910, having learned milling from his father back in Delaware. The Robinson family used wheat from farmers in the surrounding area, converting that wheat into flour. Because of the agriculture focus of the region, the roller mills became a crucial part of the flour production industry. As the farming expanded, so too did the mills.
The city of Lehi has grown around the roller mills. Most notably, the mills brought fame to Lehi when they were featured in the 1984 movie “Footloose,” starring Kevin Bacon. The round silos painted with images from flour sacks became an icon of Lehi, though the movie did not substantially increase business. Locals were excited to see a part of small town Lehi, Utah represented in a major motion picture. Because of the significance they have had in Lehi’s history, the roller mills were officially added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.The mills expanded their product line from solely flour to include flour-based products, such as brownie or muffin mix. The mixes were sold in local stores, and significantly boosted business. While doing quite well at the turn of the 21st century, the roller mills were hit hard by the economic recession of 2006. The mills continued to lose money until, in 2013, the owners filed for bankruptcy. They were purchased by Ken Brailsford on the condition that the Robinson family continue to run the mills under his ownership. Since then, the mills have been rebranded as Lehi Mills, acquiring a new logo and new packaging. As of 2022, the mills continued to operate under Brailsford’s ownership, with profits increasing. Along with the new rebrand, Lehi Mills has begun to distribute their products nation-wide, spreading their business.