The former site of the American Can Company of Utah's Industrial Park in Ogden is located on 20th street between Grant and Lincoln Avenue.
The former site of the American Can Company of Utah's Industrial Park in Ogden is located on 20th street between Grant and Lincoln Avenue. The first building in the complex was constructed in 1914 and was three stories tall. It began operations in 1915 and had a single-story addition built in 1919. Another one-story addition was built in 1924 which housed an assembly line. In 1925, two more three-story buildings were constructed on the corner of 20th and Grant to meet growing storage needs. To increase production, the company built another one-story addition at the eastern corner of the complex on Grant Avenue and a boiler building in 1926. In 1930, a one-story enameling building and a two-story truck loading dock were added. These were the final additions to the industrial campus.
In 1926, the manager of the warehouse was a Mr. J. G. Leonard, an Ogden native. The superintendent was a Jos. M. Schoenedelen, Jas. E. Sarver was the assistant manager, and S. R. Sarver was the Chief Clerk.
The facility later switched to producing soda bottles, but that market began to decline when the beverage industry moved to using aluminum cans. The American Can Company of Utah closed its Ogden facility in 1979 and was vacant for several decades. Today, the building hosts the charter school Davinci Academy of Science and the Arts, a rock-climbing gym, and several other businesses that rent space in the building. The complex is one of the few remaining industrial style buildings in the area. In 2005, the American Can Company of Utah Complex was added to the National Register of Historic Places due to the architectural integrity it lends Ogden.